Tuesday 12 February 2008

Lisbon

It is night time in the centre of Lisbon, my room looks out on Rossio, one of the main squares, where kids skateboard at the foot of large bronze statue. Walking through town, I am accosted and asked to help with a student film project. They are wanting opinions on the largest of Lisbon's squares, Praca do Comercio, unfortunately they have intercepted before I've seen it. I the guy holding the mic what he thinks of it then repeat that to the camera. They seem pleased but they don't know where an internet cafe is.

There's a cute yellow funicular which is one of several mechanical methods of ascending Lisbon's steep hills. I walk up behind, needing both the excercise and the €1.20. On the way back down later, when the funicular is closed for repairs, I meet a group of Australians, two of whom live in London.
"We thought we'd be original," the guy jokes. A few steps further down: "But the Poles are catching up."
"I guess you Aussies just aren't as good at plumbing."
"Oh no, I know some good Aussie plumbers, " he replies, nodding seriously.

CSI: New York is on the telly and because Portuguese is not widely enough spoken to justify dubbing they have to make do with subtitles. I've never watched a whole episode of CSI and its fairly entertaining as long as you're not put off by the whooshing noise as they go for another super close-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home