Tuesday 26 February 2008

Amsterdam - Hamburg

I met Eddy again in the station but here we must finally part ways. He has been to the Anne Frank Museum and he says that it made him cry. Now he is heading to Brussels and I am heading to Hamburg.

Julia, in bright pink with big earrings, is sitting opposite Chris, goateed and pony-tailed, at one of the tables of the open compartments. I struggle past them with my rucksack, then, looking at the rest of the carriage, decide the empty seat looked inviting and that they looked interesting. The few hours sleep I have had, combined with the rucksack wanderings and the constant inhalation of various fumes, have conspired to leave me feeling a little lethargic and lightheaded. The conversation with Julia and Chris is stimulating and as they are going all the way to Hamburg, I feel I can relax a little. They have been at a psychaldelic trance party this weekend (For listeners of Radio 4 there is a detailed description of this type of music included in the interview) so they are feeling similarly fragile. I feel bad though, because there are a number of classic interviews that I feel I let go begging, for fear of neglecting Julia and Chris: A pair of KLM uniformed airline stewardesses and a man earnestly composing music both would have been good subjects but I can't bring myself to start the conversations. In part it is because I will be telling exactly the same story I have just told, within earshot of people who have already heard it and I feel it will sound rehearsed and fake.

Julia has kindly said that I can stay at her flat for the night, which is a blessing because the thought of trudging around a dark Hamburg with a backpack, never knowing when I might bump into an unfriendly Hamburger, had not filled with joy. She has done alot of travelling herself and so understands my plight. The apartment, where she lives with her sister, is in the suburbs, I'm too bleary to notice that we have failed to pay for both the train and the bus to get there. Not long after I have wearily hauled my baggage up the stairs, I am lying on a comfy mattress and sinking into a grateful slumber.

1 Comments:

Blogger big dave said...

"...the thought of trudging around a dark Hamburg with a backpack, never knowing when I might bump into an unfriendly Hamburger..."

- or indeed the Hamburgler.

17 March 2008 at 05:26

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home