Wednesday 13 February 2008

Lisbon Again

Police have Segways in Lisbon, those toy-like two wheelers with handlebars to hold as you stand. I want to ask for a photo but they're too fast. Actually, what I really want is to have a go but I realise that will be an even less popular suggestion.

The metro is very nice in Lisbon. The trains are not particularly shiny but the stations are new and lovely. Huge multicoloured tiles adorn the large air stations. There are four lines, red compass, green boat, yellow flower and blue bird. Even though there is not a massive amount of conversation, as I get off to change lines a young lady waves, so it feels friendlier than London.

On the platform I finish my sandwich and start talking with Antonio, measured in his speech, with a leather jacket and a close shaven head. He has been working in Northern Ireland, where he says it has rained non-stop for six years, save for the two or three weeks of summer. He was working in a chicken factory but has returned for the birth of his first child.

Across the aisle from Antonio and me is William, he has heard the interview and asks what it was for. He is about to set up a small community in Portugal to try and escape from the madness of global economics. He says an inspiration for him is "Small is Beautiful" by E.F. Schumacher and I promise to read it, liking the sound of the ideas behind it. William is from South West Ireland and apparently can't get Radio 4, but I give him the website address. I ask if he'd like to share his story but he politely declines, saying it'd be a bit surreal. He gets offin Coimbra to meet the friend with which he is to found his community and I wish him all the best.

2 Comments:

Blogger fiesta said...

"Across the aisle from Antonio and me ... "

Just because you can speak Portuguese, French, and the language of love (so i am told) doesn't mean you are permitted misuse of English.

All the best. Love and Lisbon. Fiesta.x

17 February 2008 at 10:35

 
Blogger Ed Greig said...

Thanks Fiesta, I've made the revlevant changes. I am reminded of a question I heard once on a quiz called Musicheads where an esteemed panelist made a similar correction to the lyrics of a piece of popular music...

18 February 2008 at 14:06

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home